Thursday, October 18, 2012

Snack Attack! Fall into this: Autumn's Bounty Salad

Today's snack attack is brought to you by a dear friend of mine who stopped by to visit Louisville on her way to China. I love it when I meet an old friend again, especially when we're constantly crossing the world to new adventures. She is one of those friends who can stop time--it's like we were together yesterday with the storytelling, laughing, and just enjoying each other's company. I think that's a case of souls touching, and I'm overjoyed to have those moments in my life!

Anyway, I invited her to my house and we prepared a nice meal of garlic soup (recipe to come), tortilla de patata, and she brought this incredible salad. I love when I find new flavor combinations, and I love it even more when I find a combination that I want to repeat over and over again! This salad included mixed greens, pecans, red apples, goat cheese, and a balsamic vinaigrette--PERFECTION. I would say that most people stop rocking out the salads when the weather gets cooler, but these flavors are very autumnal. I think it might make the menu for Thanksgiving, which I have definitely started to plan already, it is that stellar. So follow along and try it yourself...I promise you won't be disappointed!

Autumn's Bounty Salad
Mixed greens (the heartier the better)
Apple, chopped
Pecans, not toasted
Goat cheese
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar

This is the first salad I have ever made that I didn't throw an herb on or a crank of pepper over. Seriously, these flavors work together so well that seasoning is not necessary beyond a light kiss of olive oil and balsamic. The mixed greens can add that spice, especially with arugula, the pecans are beautiful whether you choose to toast them or not, the goat cheese is exactly what goat cheese is expected to be--silky smooth with a lovely bite, which unites the flavors of the greens and the pecans while balancing the textures. I've already sanctified the beauty of the pecan in other posts, especially while I was abroad because pecans were not available, but it is really the perfect nut for this combination. Finally, I would recommend holding the salt because the goat cheese takes care of that. I was completely satisfied after I ate this salad, and I hope it attains the same level of joy for you as well! 


Enjoy :D

No comments:

Post a Comment